When changing the batteries, it is recommended to use lithium batteries as they have a longer life then regular alkaline batteries.
A few tips about smoke detectors:
- Install a working smoke alarm on every level of the home, outside sleeping areas, and inside bedrooms.
- Mount smoke alarms high on walls or ceilings (remember, smoke rises). Ceiling mounted alarms should be installed at least four inches away from the nearest wall; wall-mounted alarms should be installed four to 12 inches away from the ceiling.
- If you have ceilings that are pitched, install the alarm near the ceiling's highest point.
- Don't install smoke alarms near windows, doors, or ducts where drafts might interfere with their operation.
- Never paint smoke alarms. Paint, stickers, or other decorations could keep the alarms from working.
If you need assistance changing the battery or would like an inspection of your home for fire safety, please contact Ross Valley Fire Department at 258-4686.