The Town Council at its regular meeting on April 6, 2011 approved a ten percent rate increase for solid waste and recycling services provided by Marin Sanitary Service (MSS). On April 14, 2011, the Town Council discussed the need for professional services to review the current draft franchise agreement. The Council Members agreed to charge the Mayor and Vice Mayor with providing the names of three solid waste consultants to Marin Sanitary Service and Marin Sanitary Service will provide three names to the Town and then the Town and MSS will pick one consultant to assist in crafting a new franchise agreement between the Town and MSS.
Other actions taken at the Town Council April 6 and April 14, 2011 meetings:
• Appointed Terra Clark to the Youth Commission and re-appointed Richard Pedemonte to the Parks and Recreation Commission.
• Heard a report from the Town Manager on the storm damage of March 24, 2011 which included one major landslide and areas of localized flooding. Several trees fell and there were many storm drains that were clogged at the height of the storm on March 24th.
• Approved an MOU for the FairBuck Project.
• Adopted a resolution establishing a General Plan Implementation Committee (GPIC). The Town is seeking two members on the GPIC from the community at large. The GPIC’s charge will be to monitor and facilitate the goals, objectives, policies and programs contained in the 2010 General Plan. The GPIC will meet monthly to review and monitor the proposed timelines contained within the General Plan and to provide or recruit assistance as needed. The GPIC will report to the Town Council quarterly, at least through the first year of implementation after the General Plan is adopted. It is expected that one meeting would be held per month, for approximately two hours in duration. Applicants for the two community positions must be residents of the Town of Fairfax. Application forms are available at Town Hall or on the Town’s Web site at townoffairfax.org. Appointments will be made by the Town Council at a future regular meeting. For more information, please contact Jim Moore, Planning Director, at 458-2346, or Judy Anderson, Town Clerk, at 458-2343.
• Approved a letter of support for EPA upgrades, Clean Air Transport rule and Hazardous Air Pollutants to protect clean air standards.
• Adopted a resolution in support of SB 810 – Single Payer Health Care.
• Adopted a resolution supporting the California Air Resources Board’s leadership in promoting clean and energy efficient motor vehicles, energy independence, zero emission technologies, and improved quality of life in California.
• Held a first reading of an ordinance prohibiting the establishment of new
medical marijuana dispensaries in any zoning district within the Town until such time that a permanent ordinance regulating the location, number and operation of medical marijuana dispensaries is approved.
• The Council appointed Mayor Bragman and Vice Mayor Hartwell-Herrero as designated representatives of the Town for the purposes of labor negotiations.
• Discussed the possibility of a local sales tax in the Town of Fairfax. This item will continue on each Council agenda for many months as a continuing dialogue is held with the community on this important issue. The entire amount collected from a one half cent local sales tax would go to the Town and could generate about $150,000 per year. The projected Town budget for fiscal year 2011-12 will have a deficit of about $350,000 due to declining revenues and increasing retirement and health care costs for employees. Some of the employee groups already pay a portion of the employee portion of the PERS system and discussions will occur in the next few months with all bargaining groups in Fairfax and with the Ross Valley Fire employees.
Other notes and announcements:
• A special meeting on the FairBuck program will be held on April 20, 2011 at the Women’s Club at 7:00 PM.
• Parks and Recreation Commission is sponsoring the annual Spring Egg Hunt on Saturday, April 23rd at Bolinas Park at 10 AM for children 8 and under.
• A “Spring Clean-Up” will be held at the Fairfax Community Center (Youth Center) on April 30, 2011 from 1:00 pm-5:00 pm.
• If you would like to be a volunteer at the soon to open Fairfax Food Pantry please attend a meeting on April 30, 2011 at the Fairfax Community Church beginning at 10:00 am.
• The next Town Council meeting will be May 4, 2011 at 7:00 PM at the Women’s Club.