The Town Council met for more than three hours yesterday and took the following actions:
1. Appointed Monty Stephens to serve on the Park and Recreation Commission for a full four year term to October 31, 2013.
2. Congratulated Fairfax residents and high school athletes Sven Beer, Tommy Breeze, Mitch Calder, Lauren Catlin, Nick Dommen and Riley Predum for qualifying and competing in the 2009 National Mountain Bike Championships in Colorado.
3. Honored 19 Broadway for all of their contributions to the Town on their 25th anniversary in Fairfax and announced their Grand Re-opening.
4. Heard a presentation from Dawn Weisz, Interim Director of the Marin Energy Authority (MEA) regarding the potential vendors that are bidding to supply power to the MEA.
5. Authorized the Town Manager to sign a contract with the Marin Conservation Corps for the construction of a pathway with grant funding at Deer Park School.
6. Adopted a Resolution approving the Memorandum of Understanding with the Fairfax Police Officers Association, the Fairfax Management Unit, and SEIU Local 1021. All three MOUs have no cost-of-living adjustment through June 30, 2010 and institute a two-tiered retirement system which will save the Town an average of over $13,000 per year per each new hire. Both the Management Unit and SEIU agreed to having employees pay a portion of their retirement contributions. The Town thanks all the staff for bargaining in good faith and understanding the need for these structural changes that will begin the process of creating a long term sustainable Town budget.
7. The Council agreed to close Town Hall December 21-23. December 24-25 are holidays and Town Hall will be closed both of these days as well.
8. The Council agreed to hold the January 2010 Council Meeting on January 13th instead of the traditional first Wednesday of January due to the New Year’s Day Holiday.
9. The Council agreed to not renew the Management Analyst-Limited Term position. This will save the Town $70,000 for the rest of this fiscal year including the $40,000 the Council authorized to continue to work with FEMA on reimbursements for the December 31, 2005 floods, pursue new grants and implement two grants awarded this year.
10. Adopted Ordinance 746 amending chapters 12.36 and 12.40 of the Fairfax Town Code regarding regulations for parks, playgrounds, tennis courts and the central ball field.
11. Approved a “Town Fire Forum” in partnership with the Ross Valley Fire Department to discuss with the community defensible space, fire sprinklers, and fire hydrant upgrade costs. Stay tuned for more information on when the “Town Fire Forum” will take place.
12. Adopted a resolution setting guidelines for all Town Council appointed commissions, committees, and boards.
13. The Council agreed to hold a Special Council Meeting on November 30, 2009 to seat the newly elected Town Council.
The next Regular Town Council meeting is November 4, 2009. Election Day is November 3rd.