The Town Council agreed to begin the process of considering expanding Fairfax’s tobacco ordinance to include certain multi-unit apartment buildings. Bob Curry, Resource Development Coordinator from Marin County Health and Human Services offered assistance to the Town to hold community meetings to inform the public about second hand smoke, cessation, other ordinances in effect in other communities, and to discuss the proposed ordinance in Fairfax. The Council agreed to schedule a community meeting to begin the discussion. Town staff will be working with affected multi-unit apartment building owners and other stakeholders to set the date of the community meeting.
Other actions taken at the February 3, 2010 Regular Town Council Meeting:
• Heard a report from the Town Manager on the status of the siting of a new K-5 school in the Ross Valley School District (RVSD). Many Deer Park residents of Fairfax spoke at the Council meeting and most of them objected to the use of Deer Park as a possible site.
• Discussed the possibility of providing a loan security for the implementation financing of the Marin Clean Energy program. Council directed staff to come back with a report at the March 3rd Town Council Meeting with information regarding the amount of the loan security and other details about indemnification from any other financial obligations of the Marin Energy Authority.
• Conducted a public hearing on the first reading of an ordinance revising the Animal Control fee schedule. No members of the public came forward to speak.
• Adopted a resolution forwarding a draft model Green Building Ordinance to the Planning Commission for consideration
• Adoption of a Proclamation honoring the League of Women Voters on the Occasion of their 90th Anniversary
The Town Council has scheduled a Special Town Council Meeting on February 27, 2010 from 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM in the Women’s Club to discuss updating the Five Year Strategic Financial Plan and the Annual Strategic Plans and Goals of the Town and to hear a report on the status of the current fiscal year 2009/10 budget.